Gustavo joined Chaffetz Lindsey in August 2016. He represents clients in international arbitration proceedings. Prior to joining the firm, Gustavo was an associate at a global law firm where he represented private entities in some of the largest international arbitration proceedings in Latin America, both under ICSID and the ICC Rules.
Gustavo has also advised multinational companies in a broad range of commercial and corporate law matters with an emphasis in the energy sector.
Gustavo is a native Spanish speaker and is proficient in French.
- Represented one of the largest American oil companies in connection with multiple ICC and ICSID proceedings regarding the expropriation of several oil projects in Venezuela.
- Represented an American oil company in an ICC proceeding brought by a Venezuelan oil company in connection with a refining joint venture in Texas.
- Represented a Taiwanese company in an ICC arbitration against Venezuela’s national oil company.
- Represented several service companies in connection with Venezuela’s nationalization of the oilfield services sector.
- Resource Nationalism, Expropriation and Risk Mitigation, in Ed.: Gaitis, Leading Practitioners Guide to International Oil & Gas Arbitration, Juris Publications, 2015. (Eljuri E. and Mata G.)
- Columbia Law School, LL.M., 2016 (Harlan Fiske Stone Scholar)
- Universidad Católica Andrés Bello, LL.B., 2011
- Admitted in Venezuela, 2012.