May 2017 – A Chaffetz Lindsey team led by partner Cecilia Moss and senior associate Karen Baswell has successfully obtained an order dismissing the Complaint in the Southern District of New York against our client Zurich American Insurance Company for failure…Read More
Karen Baswell is an associate with Chaffetz Lindsey LLP. Karen has broad experience with disputes involving the insurance and reinsurance sectors, including disputes involving the follow the fortunes and allocation issues. She also represents individual and corporate clients in general commercial litigation and international arbitration proceedings.
Karen’s reputation in the area of insurance and reinsurance is growing, and she was recognized by Chambers USA as an “Associate to Watch” in 2012, 2013, and 2014.
Prior to joining Chaffetz Lindsey LLP, Karen was an associate at Clifford Chance.
- Currently representing an international insurance company in several contract disputes with various reinsurers.
- Currently representing a cedent in a dispute relating to issues of allocation, follow the fortunes, and exhaustion of underlying policies.
- Represented two business services companies in an ICDR arbitration in connection with a contractual dispute with a former employee.
- Represented an international insurance company in an arbitration with its reinsurer relating to mortgage losses from the 2008 financial crisis.
- Represented a Korean construction company in an ICDR arbitration arising out of a road construction project in Afghanistan.
- Advised in a class action involving a leading monoline insurer.
- Represented a leading international financial services company in a dispute over compliance with an arbitration award.
- Secured the dismissal of an adversary proceeding arising out of a major law firm bankruptcy proceeding in the U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of New York.
- Pre-Hearing Security – A Primer for Arbitrators, ARIAS-US Quarterly (Fourth Quarter 2009). (with Peter Chaffetz).
- Time for a Change: Why the FDA Should Require Greater Disclosure of Differences of Opinion on the Safety and Efficacy of Approved Drugs, 35 Hofstra Law Rev. 1799 (2007)
- Hofstra University School of Law (J.D.), summa cum laude, 2007; Articles Editor of the Hofstra Law Review.
- University of Richmond (B.A. and B.S.), cum laude, 2000.
- Admitted in New York, 2008.
- Admitted in New Jersey, 2007.
- Admitted in the United States District Courts for the Southern and Eastern Districts of New York, 2008.