Luis Paternina joined Chaffetz Lindsey in July 2017. He has experience representing clients in international commercial and investment treaty arbitrations conducted under the major international rules (ICC, UNCITRAL, ICSID, ICDR, LCIA, etc.) and general commercial litigation. Luis is a native Spanish speaker.
Prior to joining Chaffetz Lindsey in 2017, Luis worked at Chadbourne & Parke in New York and was an associate at Pérez-Llorca in Madrid.
- Represented a global energy company in an ICSID arbitration involving a gas supply dispute in the Middle East.
- Advised a U.S. corporation on a prospective UNCITRAL arbitration against the Republic of Zambia.
- Advised a U.S. national on a potential ICSID claim against Uruguay.
- Assisted in the representation of a foreign country in four extradition proceedings and in international mutual legal assistance requests to locate and freeze assets for repatriation.
- Represented a U.S. television sports channel in a lawsuit arising out of its competitors’ bribery of South American soccer officials to obtain the broadcasting rights to international soccer tournaments.
- Assisted in the representation of two US defendants in Spain’s largest investment fraud case.
- “International Fraud & Asset Tracing – Jurisdictional Comparisons, third edition (Co-author of the Spanish Chapter),” December 2014.
- Vanderbilt Medal, New York University School of Law, 2016.
- New York University School of Law, LL.M., International Business Regulation, Litigation and Arbitration Program, 2016.
- University of Navarra School of Law (Spain), Master’s Degree in Business Law, 2011.
- Recipient of Banco Santander Scholarship of Excellence.
- University of Navarra School of Law (Spain), J.D., 2010.
- New York, 2017.
- Spain, 2011.