August 2018 – The fourth installment of Chaffetz Lindsey’s Insurance/Reinsurance Report is now available. The report contains recent case summaries to keep you informed on new developments, and reminded of old ones. The cases in this issue include: New York…Read More
Drew acts on behalf of clients in a broad range of commercial matters, including those involving insurance and reinsurance, energy and infrastructure projects, banking and finance, and corporate governance. His practice focuses on commercial dispute resolution, where he regularly represents clients in international and domestic arbitration and state and federal litigation. Drew also has experience in cases involving foreign states and state-owned entities under the Foreign Sovereign Immunities Act (FSIA) and has advised foreign and domestic clients in connection with bankruptcy and other insolvency and liquidation proceedings.
Prior to joining Chaffetz Lindsey in 2012, Drew clerked for the Honorable Richard K. Eaton of the United States Court of International Trade. He was previously an associate with Bickel & Brewer.
- Represented Brazilian construction company in ICC arbitration concerning owner-caused delays and cost overruns in the construction of an offshore oil production unit, obtaining a favorable final award following evidentiary hearing.
- Represented foreign state’s housing authority in suit alleging the improper expropriation of property, obtaining dismissal of the claims under the FSIA.
- Represented foreign state in federal lawsuit seeking to recover possession of Pablo Picasso painting, obtaining dismissal under the FSIA following an evidentiary hearing, and affirmation on appeal.
- Represented the general partner of a PURPA-regulated power generation facility in an AAA arbitration brought by limited partners concerning partner distributions and tax liabilities, obtaining a favorable award following final evidentiary hearing.
- Represented an international insurance company in several arbitrations with various reinsurers concerning environmental XOL treaties.
- Advised Bahamian liquidators of luxury resort developer concerning claims against Chinese construction company.
- Represented a Turkish holding company in federal district court and appellate proceedings concerning the enforcement of a foreign arbitral award, ultimately obtaining dismissal on jurisdictional grounds.
- Represented a large international insurance carrier in federal district court proceedings seeking recovery of payments under two reinsurance agreements with former syndicates of Lloyds of London.
- Represented an international insurance company in an arbitration with its reinsurer relating to mortgage losses from the 2008 financial crisis.
- Represented investment fund in arbitration against a foreign hotel operator concerning the mismanagement of a luxury hotel, obtaining favorable arbitration award following final evidentiary hearing terminating the management agreement.
- Advised a hedge fund manager in multiple matters relating to investor redemptions and bankruptcy of underperforming funds.
- Contributing Editor, Chaffetz Lindsey Insurance and Reinsurance Law Report (ongoing periodic publication).
- Points of Departure: Procedural Differences Between International Arbitration and U.S. Reinsurance Arbitration, ARIAS-US Quarterly (First Quarter 2015) (with Peter Chaffetz and Gretta Walters).
- The Diversity Hurdles Unincorporated Associations Face, New York Law Journal (Special Section: Litigation) (Sept. 13, 2010) (with Alexander D. Widell).
- No Vesting of Property Rights Where Municipal Discretion Remains, 5 (no. 4) New York Zoning Law and Practice Report 1 (with Patricia Salkin).
- Albany Law School (J.D.), summa cum laude, 2006; Senior Editor for the Albany Law Review.
- State University of New York at Albany (B.A. and M.A., political communication), 2003.
- State admissions: New York and Texas.
- Court admissions: Southern District of New York, Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit.