May 2017 – David Lindsey and Yasmine Lahlou are speaking at Business BVI’s second BVI International Arbitration Conference to be held May 30 – June 2 in Tortola, BVI. The conference is being held in the newly opened BVI International…Read More
David Lindsey has practiced law for 28 years and is a founding partner of Chaffetz Lindsey LLP. David represents plaintiff and defendant multinational companies in cross border disputes most often decided by international arbitration tribunals under the rules of the ICDR, the ICC, the LCIA, and other top international arbitral institutions. David also has an active U.S. litigation practice in New York federal and state courts, and he has tried cases in the Florida courts. He is licensed to practice in New York, Florida, and the District of Columbia. His clients are leaders in the power, oil and gas, engineering, manufacturing, automotive sales, franchising, licensing, and pharmaceutical industries, and David has represented them in proceedings in North and South America, Europe, and Asia. David also acts both for and against foreign sovereigns concerning, among other things, expropriation of a foreign party’s investments, fair and equitable treatment under public international law, breach of a sovereign’s obligations under treaty instruments, breach of contract, determination of applicable law, U.S. racketeering laws, and the U.S. Foreign Sovereign Immunities Act. He represents private companies suing sovereigns, but also represents foreign sovereigns, their political subdivisions, agencies, and instrumentalities in U.S. courts in matters arising from enforcement of U.S. trade sanctions.
Before Chaffetz Lindsey, David was partner and Head of Clifford Chance’s International Arbitration practice for the Americas from 1999 to 2009. He started his legal career at the leading Miami law firm Steel Hector & Davis in 1987, made partner there in 1995. In the late 1990s, David opened their London office and lived in England at various times from 1994 to 1999.
- Representing a foreign sovereign’s central bank in U.S. federal district court with respect to a dispute over seized funds.
- Representing The People’s Republic of China in a RICO action.
- Representing one of the Middle East region’s largest car dealers in a dispute with manufacturers.
- Representing a European-based multinational in bringing breach of warranty and fraud claims in an ICC arbitration under New York law arising out of a corporate acquisition.
- Representing a US power company against an instrumentality of an Indian state government in an ad hoc arbitration seated in India.
- Advising a power company in resolving various arbitrations and litigation proceedings against the Brazilian electricity regulator and other Brazilian government entities as part of restructuring the power company’s Brazil operations.
- Representing an Italian energy company in Section 1782 proceedings arising from an ICC arbitration in Paris against a Central American state-owned company.
- Representing a US company in ICC and AAA arbitrations against Indian and US entities regarding alleged breaches of pharmaceutical marketing agreements.
- Representing a Swiss pharmaceutical company in a Netherlands arbitration institute proceeding against a US pharmaceutical company regarding alleged breaches of a licensing and development agreement.
- Co-editor of International Arbitration in Latin America (Kluwer).
- Co-author of the applicable law chapter in International Arbitration in New York, Carter, Fellas, eds.
David was voted by readers of Global Arbitration Review as one of the world’s top 45 arbitrators under 45 and is listed as a leader in his field by the global, U.S.A. and Latin American editions of Chambers, The Best Lawyers in America, Super Lawyers, The International Who’s Who of Business Lawyers, The International Who’s Who of Commercial Arbitration, Benchmark, The Definitive Guide to America’s Leading Litigation Firms and Attorneys, and Practical Law Company’s “Which lawyer”. Most recently, Latinvex named David to their 2016 list of “Latin America’s Top 100 Lawyers”.
David obtained his JD with honors from Florida State University College of Law in 1988 and obtained his BA with honors from The University of Texas at Austin in 1985. He is a native of Tallahassee, Florida.