April 2017 – Associate Meredith Craven will be speaking at the Eleventh Annual Juris Conferences’ Investment Treaty Arbitration Conference on April 25, 2017 in Washington, D.C. The conference will focus on the intersection of investor-state arbitration and the technology sector….Read More
Meredith represents clients from the United States, Latin and Central America, Europe and Africa in a broad range of international arbitration matters, including both commercial and investor-state disputes. She has experience representing clients in proceedings administered under the rules of the ICC, AAA/ICDR, ICSID and UNCITRAL, and HKIAC, as well as in U.S. court actions. Meredith is an ad hoc member of the New York City Bar Association Arbitration Committee.
Prior to joining Chaffetz Lindsey in 2015, Meredith was an associate at Weil, Gotshal & Manges. She is professionally proficient in Spanish, has limited working proficiency in French and Italian, and is conversant at a basic level in Arabic.
- Represent the Czech Republic in UNCITRAL investment arbitration brought by UAE investor, administered by the Permanent Court of Arbitration.
- Represent investor in Spanish-language UNCITRAL investment arbitration against Latin American state, administered by the Permanent Court of Arbitration.
- Represent U.S. purchaser of embedded computing business in post-transaction ICC arbitration brought by U.S. and German sellers.
- Represented Brazilian airline in first commercial arbitration brought in the Americas under the ICC Expedited Rules Procedure.
- Counseled professional yachting organization in ad hoc international sports arbitration.
- Represented Eastern European state-owned investor in parallel ICSID and UNCITRAL arbitrations under the Energy Charter Treaty.
- Represented Mexican company in ICC arbitration relating to the construction of a wind farm in Mexico.
- Represented Internet registries in disputes with the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN) under the ICDR Rules relating to the top level domain expansion program.
- “When is Intellectual Property Not an Investment? Imposing Traditional Jurisdictional Limitations on Non-Traditional Intellectual Property Rights,” Investment Treaty Arbitration and International Law, Vol. 11 (2018).
- “Where Are We Now? Investment Treaty Arbitration, Sovereign Debt, and Mass Claims in the Post-Abaclat Era,” (TDM, ISSN 1875-4120) January 2017, www.transnational-dispute-management.com (with Jennifer Permesly).
- “Summary of Young-OGEMID Symposium No. 2: ‘Sound Off: How to Get a Speaking Slot in International Arbitration’” (February 2016), TDM 1 (2017), www.transanational-dispute-management.com.
- “COMMISA v. PEMEX: Second Circuit Confirms Arbitration Award Vacated at its Seat,” Chaffetz Lindsey Client Update (August 2016) (with Cecelia Moss, Jennifer Permesly, and Joshua Anders).
- “New York Courts Revisit the Balance between Debtors and Creditors in Enforcement Proceedings,” IBA Arbitration News, Vol. 19 (February 2014) (with Samaa Haridi) (republished on Lexology.com, May 2014).
Recent Speaking Engagements
- “Life in the Fast Lane: ICC Expedited Procedures,” ICC Young Arbitrators Forum, Panelist (October 2018).
- “How Confident are You that Your Arbitration is Confidential?” Chaffetz Lindsey LLP, Speaker (March 2018).
- “Technology, IP and Investor-State Arbitration,” Eleventh Annual Investment Treaty Arbitration Conference, Presenting Author (April 25, 2017).
- “TPP: Poster Child for Investor State Dispute Resolution?” University of Pennsylvania Law School, Guest Lecturer (April 14, 2016) (with James Hosking).
- “Penn Law Practice Series: Nuts & Bolts of International Arbitration,” University of Pennsylvania Law School, Lecturer (March 31, 2015).
- “Breaking into a Career in International Arbitration,” University of Pennsylvania Law School International Arbitration Association, Panelist (November 5, 2014).
- “Mass Tort Litigation in a Shrinking World,” University of Pennsylvania Journal of International Law Symposium, Event Organizer (November 2, 2012).
- Meredith received a J.D. from the University of Pennsylvania Law School (2013), where she served as the Symposium Editor on the board of the Journal of International Law and argued in the Price Media Law Moot Court Competition in Oxford, UK and the Willem C. Vis International Commercial Arbitration Moot in Vienna, Austria.
- Meredith obtained a B.A. magna cum laude in Comparative Literature and Society from Columbia University (2010).
- Meredith is admitted in New York State and the Southern District of New York.