Where Advocacy Meets Business
“I help clients by distilling complex disputes into discrete and manageable issues, including deciphering complex factual histories and demystifying intimidating mathematical analyses.”
Karen has broad experience representing privately-held and publicly traded U.S. and global insurance and reinsurance companies in a wide range of disputes including breach of contract, rescission, follow-the fortunes, allocation, and coverage issues. Karen also represents individual and corporate clients in general commercial litigation and international arbitration proceedings, as well as international construction companies and joint ventures in litigation and arbitration of claims for extensions of time and delay costs. Engaging in all aspects of litigation and arbitration, Karen handles cases from pre-trial case evaluation through discovery, depositions, motion practice, expert reports, trial or hearing, and appeals.
Karen’s reputation in the area of insurance and reinsurance is growing, and she was recognized by Chambers USA as an “Associate to Watch” in 2012, 2013, and 2014.
Prior to joining Chaffetz Lindsey LLP, Karen was an associate at Clifford Chance.
Insurance and Reinsurance
- Currently representing a cedent in a dispute relating to issues of allocation, follow the fortunes, and exhaustion of underlying policies.
- Currently representing an international insurance company in multiple litigations against various policyholders arising out of the sale and use of lead paint.
- Currently representing a cedent against multiple reinsurers in a dispute relating to number of occurrences.
- Represented a major international insurance company in several contract disputes with various reinsurers.
- Represented an international insurance company in an arbitration with its reinsurer relating to mortgage losses from the 2008 financial crisis.
- Secured the dismissal of a breach of contract action against an international insurance company.
- Advised in a class action involving a leading monoline insurer.
- Secured the dismissal of an adversary proceeding arising out of a major law firm bankruptcy proceeding in the U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of New York.
Alternative Dispute Resolution
- Currently advising an international construction joint venture regarding claims disputes for extensions of time and delay costs.
- Represented two business services companies in an ICDR arbitration in connection with a contractual dispute with a former employee.
- Represented a Korean construction company in an ICDR arbitration arising out of a road construction project in Afghanistan.
- Represented a leading international financial services company in a dispute over compliance with an arbitration award.
Subscribe to Updates
Stay informed of Chaffetz Lindsey’s updates, new articles, and events invitations by subscribing to our mailing list.