Where Advocacy Meets Business
“I love helping our clients when they are faced with complex disputes issues. From construction and financial disputes to investment treaty arbitrations and commercial litigation, I’m here to help.”
Luis Paternina has experience representing clients in international commercial and investment treaty arbitrations conducted under the major international rules.
Luis is a native Spanish speaker. Prior to joining Chaffetz Lindsey in 2017, Luis worked at Chadbourne & Parke in New York and was an associate at Pérez-Llorca in Madrid.
- Represented a U.S. based investment fund in parallel ICC arbitration proceedings.
- Represented a Spanish investor in an UNCITRAL investment treaty arbitration against a Latin American sovereign over the imposition of tax measures.
- Represented the subsidiary of a large European energy company in an ICC arbitration against a major international contractor over the construction of a power plant in Costa Rica.
- Represented a global energy company in an ICSID arbitration involving a gas supply dispute in the Middle East.
- Advised a U.S. corporation on a prospective UNCITRAL arbitration against the Republic of Zambia.
- Advised a U.S. national on a potential ICSID claim against Urugua
- Assisted in the representation of a foreign country in four extradition proceedings and in international mutual legal assistance requests to locate and freeze assets for repatriation.
- Represented a U.S. television sports channel in a lawsuit arising out of its competitors’ bribery of South American soccer officials to obtain the broadcasting rights to international soccer tournaments.
- Assisted in the representation of two US defendants in Spain’s largest investment fraud case.
- “International Fraud & Asset Tracing – Jurisdictional Comparisons, third edition,” Co-Author of the Spanish Chapter (December 2014).
Subscribe to Updates
Stay informed of Chaffetz Lindsey’s updates, new articles, and events invitations by subscribing to our mailing list.