Where Advocacy Meets Business
“I’ve devoted my career to becoming the best trial lawyer I can be.”
Steven Reisberg is a skilled trial lawyer who has presented cases to judges, juries and arbitration panels. He represents clients in high-stakes business disputes, including insurance coverage litigation, across the United States.
Steven excels at the clear, compelling presentation of legal argument, witness testimony, and cross-examination, particularly in cases involving scientific evidence and technical subjects.
In addition to his trial work, Steven is an experienced arbitrator who serves on both international and domestic arbitral tribunals.
Before joining Chaffetz Lindsey, Steven was a litigation partner at Willkie Farr & Gallagher. He began his legal career as a law clerk to Judge Edward Weinfeld (S.D.N.Y.).
- Representing a Fortune 100 insurance company in a coverage dispute over a medical products company’s $250 million settlement of more than 8,000 personal injury claims.
- Reduced a global insurance company’s $100 million dollar coverage exposure by over 80% in a case involving the catastrophic failure of a protective coating used for steel on offshore oil rigs.
- Lead counsel for Rosebud Energy Corp. as the general partner of Colstrip Energy Limited Partnership, which owns and operates a coal-fired electrical generation plant, in an arbitration involving disputes with limited partners. The panel issued an award substantially in favor of Rosebud, including the award of costs and attorney’s fees.
- Won a $61 million jury verdict for U.S. Philips Corp. in a trial alleging infringement of a patent for high pressure mercury vapor discharge lamps.
- Represented the limited partners in Cayman Island Limited Partnership in a dispute with managing partner involving an investment of more than $100 million. Decision issued in favor of the investors dismissing the complaint, denying motion to compel arbitration, and in favor of proceedings pending in Cayman Islands, resulting in the recovery of the investment.
- Obtained a judgment following a bench trial for PMI Investments, Inc. recovering $30 million in a real estate investment dispute.
- “Twelve Tips for Effective Settlement Negotiations,” NYSBA Dispute Resolution Lawyer (Spring 2017).
- “What Is Expert Determination? The Secret Alternative to Arbitration,” New York Law Journal (December 13, 2013).
- “Purchase Price Adjustment Clauses and Expert Determinations: Legal Issues, Practical Problems and Suggested Improvements,” Report by the Committee on International Commercial Disputes of the New York City Bar, Chair of the Subcommittee (June 2013).
- “An Arbitrator’s Authority To Award Interest On An Award Until Date of Payment,” 16 International Arbitration Law Review 25 (2013).
- “Objections To The Jurisdiction Of The Arbitration Tribunal: How To Preserve The Right To Judicial Review,” 13 International Arbitration Law Review 148 (2010).
- “The Rules Governing Who Decides Jurisdictional Issues – First Options v. Kaplan Revisited,” 20 American Review of International Arbitration 159 (2010).
- “New Ways Of Taking And Presenting Evidence: The Use of Visual Argument,” IBA Annual Litigation Forum (Zurich, May 2017).
- “Public Policy as a Basis for Vacatur of Arbitration Awards,” Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (New York, March 2017).
- “Recent Developments in International Arbitration,” Fordham International Law Journal Symposium (New York, February 2016).
- “Smarter Ways to Educate Your Court in Complex Cases,” IBA Annual Conference (Vienna, October 2015).
- “How Technology Can Help Control Litigation Costs,” Global Litigation Conference and Exhibition (New York, October 2014).
- “Why Purchase Price Adjustment Clauses Fail and How To Fix Them,” New York City Bar (New York, January 2014).
- Association of the Bar of the City of New York – Arbitration Committee and CPR Arbitration Committee
- International Arbitration Club of New York
- New York International Arbitration Center
- New York State Bar Association
- Fellow, Chartered Institute of Arbitrators
Subscribe to Updates
Stay informed of Chaffetz Lindsey’s updates, new articles, and events invitations by subscribing to our mailing list.