Agustina specializes in handling complex cross border disputes and international arbitrations, with special focus on commodities and trade, shipping, finance, oil and gas, electricity, and renewable energies. She has experience in all stages of disputes, including negotiation, arbitration, litigation, and enforcement, having also worked on a variety of contentious and non-contentious matters in most Latin American jurisdictions.
Agustina is fluent in English, Spanish, and Italian, and speaks conversational Portuguese.
Prior to joining Chaffetz Lindsey, Agustina was in-house counsel for Latin America at Trafigura, one of the world’s largest and most important commodity traders. While at Trafigura, she provided legal advice across the entire portfolio of the company’s commercial activities, including the trading of physically and financially settled oil and its by-products, minerals, metals, coal, and carbon credits, supporting all business areas in different jurisdictions from a regional hub. Agustina was also a Foreign Associate at Chaffetz Lindsey as well as an Associate at the energy and arbitration team of Pérez Alati, Grondona, Benites, Arntsen, and of Martinez de Hoz & Rueda in Argentina.
Agustina is a Professor of Private International Law at Austral University (Argentina) and of International Arbitration at Arbanza Escuela de Arbitraje (Peru).
- Represented a multinational energy company in an ICSID arbitration against a Latin American sovereign alleging breaches of a bilateral investment treaty and investment law.
- Represented the owner of power plants in Latin America in an ICC arbitration against the contractor responsible for their construction.
- Represented the plant owner in an ICC arbitration relating to the construction of a solar power plant in the U.S. in a dispute involving claims in excess of US$1 billion.
- Represented Mexican and Costa Rican petitioners in the enforcement of a foreign US$ 230 million LCIA award in the US District Court of the Southern District of New York.
- Represented a Chinese oil & gas company in an ICC arbitration involving the alleged breach of exclusivity and confidentiality obligations set out in a memorandum of understanding.*
- Represented a State-owned oil & gas company in a US$1.5 billion ICC arbitration initiated against it by a Brazilian natural gas importer and a natural gas transportation company.*
- Represented a soft-commodities trading company in an ICC arbitration initiated by a Spanish contractor involving the breach of an EPC contract for the construction of a biodiesel plant.*
- Represented a renowned bank in an arbitration against another bank involving the alleged breach of a forward contract to purchase US dollars on a delivery basis entered into before the “pesification” of derivative contracts in Argentina.*
- Represented a major oil & gas company against the attempts to enforce a US$ 9 billion foreign judgment against it in Argentina.*
*Experience prior to joining Chaffetz Lindsey LLP