August 2018 – The fourth installment of Chaffetz Lindsey’s Insurance/Reinsurance Report is now available. The report contains recent case summaries to keep you informed on new developments, and reminded of old ones. The cases in this issue include: New York…Read More
Steven C. Schwartz
Steve Schwartz has devoted much of his practice to reinsurance litigation and arbitration since the early 1990s. He has represented major insurance and reinsurance companies in disputes involving property/casualty reinsurance, life/health reinsurance, insurance insolvency, alternative risk transfer and finite risk reinsurance. Steve has also represented clients in litigation relating to mergers and acquisitions of reinsurance companies, and in other disputes arising out of the use of reinsurance in corporate transactions. Steve has acted as first chair in numerous arbitration hearings and in trials in federal and state court.
Steve has been recognized by Chambers USA, where he is nationally ranked in Band 1 for Dispute Resolution: Reinsurance, and in New York in Band 2 for Dispute Resolution: Insurance. Steve is also listed in the International Who’s Who of Insurance & Reinsurance Lawyers.
Steve is regularly called upon to write and speak on reinsurance issues. He is the author of Reinsurance Law: An Analytic Approach (Law Journal Press), one of the leading treatises in the field.
- Represented a cedent seeking to enforce a cut-through endorsement against a cedent.
- Represented a finite risk reinsurer in connection with allegations by a cedent’s Liquidator that the reinsurance masked the cedent’s insolvency.
- Represented a cedent seeking to collect amounts due from a finite risk reinsurer.
- Represented a reinsurer in connection with a cedent’s attempt to cede a default judgment that was not properly covered by the treaty.
- Represented both cedents and reinsurers in disputes relating to the allocation of asbestos and other losses.
- Represented a large European reinsurer in disputes arising out of its acquisition of a reinsurer in the U.S. The dispute related both to breaches of representations and warranties and to an earnout.
- Represented the buyer of a reinsurer in runoff in litigation arising out of breaches of representations and warranties relating to reserves for September 11 aviation losses.
- Represented both cedents and reinsurers in disputes relating to workers’ compensation carve-out reinsurance.
- Advised parties in connection with U.S. aspects of Part VII transfers.
- Represented a reinsurer in connection with the enforcement of a solvent scheme of arrangement under Section 304 (now Chapter 15) of the Bankruptcy Code.
- Reinsurance Law: An Analytic Approach, Law Journal Press (first published in 2009, and updated semi-annually).
- Follow-the-Settlements and Allocation: New York’s High Court Weighs In, Harris Martin Reinsurance Report (April 9, 2013).
- Arbitrator Disclosure Requirements and Enforceability of Awards, New York Law Journal (October 2010).
Recent Speaking Engagements
- Dispute Resolution Mechanisms, Panelist, AIRROC Rendez-Vous (October 14, 2013).
- Ethical Issues in Arbitration, Facilitator, ARIAS Spring Conference (2013).
- An Introduction to Lloyd’s, RAA Re Basics (2012).
- Columbia Law School, J.D., 1984 (Harlan Fiske Stone Scholar).
- Princeton University, A.B., cum laude, 1981.
- Admitted in New York, 1985.