Where Advocacy Meets Business
The combined strength of our highly ranked international arbitration and leading US litigation practices makes us a natural choice for arbitration-related litigation. As recognized leaders in the field, a number of our partners have appeared as experts on the Federal Arbitration Act in both U.S. and foreign proceedings. We are familiar with the full range of arbitration-related litigation, including motions to compel arbitration, vacatur of arbitral awards and interim relief in aid of arbitral proceedings in the United States and abroad.
We maintain an active award enforcement docket, representing both debtors and creditors in enforcement proceedings ranging from several million to more than two billion dollars. Several of our partners and counsel recently authored Enforcement of Foreign Arbitral Awards and Judgments in New York. Published by leading legal publisher Wolters Kluwer, it provides an in-depth analysis of all aspects of enforcement and execution, covering U.S. civil procedure, statutes, and case law on enforcement of foreign arbitral awards and judgments.
- Representing the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation in pending proceedings in the Southern District of New York against an attempt by the Nigerian subsidiaries of two major international oil companies to enforce a Nigerian arbitral award for more than $2 billion that previously had been set aside by a Nigerian court.
- Coordinating international efforts to enforce an ICC award issued in Singapore in multiple jurisdictions, including advising on US actions.
- Winning a preliminary injunction in federal district court in Florida on behalf of a German manufacturer in aid of a pending international arbitration in Germany.
- Representing the Republic of Moldova in pending proceedings in the Southern District of New York concerning the enforcement of a Russian arbitral award arising from a disputed contract with Russia’s state-owned gas company.
- Winning a motion to compel arbitration on behalf of an insurer in Massachusetts state court and obtaining dismissal of policyholder’s subsequent action seeking judicial intervention to reverse the AAA’s disqualification of an arbitrator on partiality grounds.
- Prosecuting a pending award enforcement action in the District of Columbia for a Turkish construction company against the Kyrgyz Republic arising from a dispute over a highway construction project in that country.
Subscribe to Updates
Stay informed of Chaffetz Lindsey’s updates, new articles, and events invitations by subscribing to our mailing list.