Where Advocacy Meets Business
According to Legal 500, Cia Moss is “well regarded” for her “deep understanding of reinsurance,” a field in which interviewees say she has “wealth of overall experience.”
For more than 20 years, Cia Moss has handled high-stakes litigation and arbitrations involving insurance, reinsurance, financial services, pharmaceutical, oil and gas, and other sectors. Cia Moss turns complicated commercial and financial contract disputes into clear, persuasive advocacy.
Cia has extensive experience taking a case through discovery to a merits hearing or trial. Her understanding of the business goals behind the contracts in dispute helps her shape trial narratives and find successful settlements. In addition, her tireless witness preparation ensures there are no surprises at depositions or trials.
One of Chaffetz Lindsey’s founding partners, Cia previously practiced at Clifford Chance and Chadbourne & Parke.
- Representing developer and manufacturer of wind energy turbines in ICDR-administered arbitration with wind farm owner regarding alleged product defects.
- Representing insurer in coverage litigation over policy holder’s alleged MTBE contamination in New York and New Jersey state court.
- Obtained dismissal of the enforcement of $2.8 billion arbitration award against Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation in New York federal court.
- Obtained summary judgment for ceding company in confidential arbitration to collect reinsurer’s share of settlement of claim on underlying professional liability policy.
- Obtained summary judgment based on statute of limitations and waiver in confidential reinsurance arbitration.
- Obtained dismissal in Southern District of New York and subsequent affirmance in Second Circuit of policyholders’ claim against Zurich American Insurance Company for alleged breach of contract and breach of duty of good faith and fair dealing arising out of its settlement with an additional insured.
- Obtained an order compelling arbitration of a dispute over millions of dollars owed to Lexington Insurance Company under a facultative reinsurance agreement.
- Represented a leading Brazilian private equity firm in an ICC arbitration seated in Sao Paulo against international financial institutions arising out of breaches of finance restructuring agreements (and in parallel proceedings in U.S. federal court).
- Achieved a favorable settlement for an offshore bank in its FINRA arbitration with a Wall Street broker-dealer over losses caused by a rogue trader’s unsuitable investments.
- Represented one of the world’s leading pharmaceutical companies in ICDR arbitrations concerning a license and asset purchase agreement and a manufacturing agreement.
- “Hacking Privileged and Confidential Information,” 2019 ARIAS-U.S. Spring Conference (May, 9, 2019).
- 2018 ARIAS-U.S. Spring Conference, Co-Chair (May 9-11, 2018).
- “Responding to Extreme Losses in the New Normal,” ARIAS-U.S. Spring Conference (May 9, 2018).
- “Conflicts of Interest Issues for In-House Counsel Who Manage Outside Counsel,” Chaffetz Lindsey LLP Client Presentation (September 7, 2017).
- “The Importance of Creating Your Personal Brand,” 2017 ARIAS-U.S. Women’s Networking Session at ARIAS-U.S. Spring Conference (May 3, 2017).
- “Comparative Ethics: Lessons to be Learned from Other Arbitration Regimes,” 2016 ARIAS-U.S. Fall Conference (November 16-17, 2016).
- “Scope of Panel Authority,” ARIAS US Arbitrators Seminar (November 11, 2015).
- “The use of experts and the propriety of awards for costs in reinsurance arbitrations,” ARIAS Arbitrators Seminar (March 14, 2013).
Subscribe to Updates
Stay informed of Chaffetz Lindsey’s updates, new articles, and events invitations by subscribing to our mailing list.