May 2019 – The eighth volume of Chaffetz Lindsey’s New York Commercial Litigation Report is now available. The report contains recent case summaries to keep you informed on new developments, and reminded of old ones. The cases in this issue…Read More
Charlie Scibetta has 23 years of litigation and arbitration experience across a broad variety of industries. His cases involve general commercial and financial disputes as well as insurance and reinsurance litigation and arbitration. He is recognized as a leader in his field in industry publications, including Legal 500 United States, Super Lawyers, Who’s Who International, and Chambers USA.
Charlie is Chaffetz Lindsey’s managing partner and one of the firm’s founding partners. He is on the board of directors for New York Lawyers for the Public Interest (NYLPI). Prior to forming Chaffetz Lindsey, Charlie was a partner in the New York litigation department of Clifford Chance.
- Defending individual director and corporate fund manager in federal class action alleging fraud, breach of contract and other causes of action.
- Representing manufacturer in trademark/antitrust suit in federal district court.
- Representing insurance carrier in Bermuda Form arbitration.
- Representing insurance carrier in New York coverage litigation.
Other Representative Case Experience:
- Represented energy company in commercial litigation in New York state court.
- Represented large international insurance carrier in AAA coverage arbitration.
- Represented international energy company in New York federal court in a breach of contract action arising out of the Lehman collapse.
- Represented international bank in connection with New York arbitration and UK litigation concerning borrower fraud in connection with a structured credit facility.
- Represented pharmaceutical company in licensing dispute in international arbitration.
- Represented a New York financial institution in dispute in bankruptcy court over the restructuring of a multi-billion-dollar credit facility.
- Acted for insurer and reinsurer in connection with nearly $1 billion of exposure to losses arising out of the destruction of the World Trade Center.
- Represented reinsurer in New York state court action concerning losses on residual value insurance program.
- Represented pharmaceutical company in state and federal antitrust class actions involving price-fixing allegations.
- Represented insurer in $150 million arbitration to enforce surety reinsurance coverage.
- Represented reinsurer in defense of claims for coverage arising out of Enron collapse.
- Represented UK hedge fund in recovering assets out of Lehman bankruptcy.
- Represented global bank in a New York State court action concerning payment and valuation of collateral owed under ISDA currency swaps.
Recent Speaking Engagements
- Controlling Litigation Costs. ACI (Chicago, April 2013)
- Reinsurance Disputes in Litigation and Arbitration. ACI (New York, May 2012)
- Selecting and Retaining Firms That Are Able to Deliver High-Quality Services at a Lower Cost. Moderator. ACI’s Sixth National Forum on Reducing Legal Costs (Philadelphia, October 2011).
- Recent Developments in US Securities Law. In-House Presentations (London, March 2011).
- Creating the Relationship: Selecting and Retaining Firms That Are Able to Deliver High-Quality Services at a Lower Cost. Moderator and Speaker. ACI’s Fifth National Forum on Reducing Legal Costs (Philadelphia, October 2010).
- Selecting Legal Counsel: How Firm Structure and Culture Can Affect Value. ACI’s Fourth National Forum on Reducing Legal Costs (Dallas, March 2010).
- State University of New York at Buffalo (B.A.).
- Albany Law School (J.D.) (summa cum laude, valedictorian).
- Columbia University School of Law (LL.M.).