Where Advocacy Meets Business
Silvia has acted for corporate clients and foreign sovereigns in arbitration and litigation matters, across a variety of sectors including energy, oil & gas, construction and infrastructure. Her practice focuses on international commercial and investment treaty disputes, in proceedings heard under a range of arbitration rules, including the ICC, SCC, ICSID and UNCITRAL rules.
Prior to joining Chaffetz Lindsey, Silvia worked at leading international law firms in Washington D.C., Paris, and New York.
- Represented a North African state in an ICSID arbitration for an alleged investment in the banking industry in that country.*
- Represented a South American joint venture in an ICC commercial arbitration, seated in Madrid, relating to the breach of an EPC contract for the construction of an off-shore regasification terminal in a South American state.*
- Advised an international oil company on a potential investment claim against a South American state arising out of tax claims relating to the client’s operation in the country.*
- Advised Asian oil companies on the recourses and protections of their investments under a bilateral investment treaty and in the negotiations with a South American state in relation to a tax dispute.*
- Represented the claimants against a US auction house involving the sale of a precious gem before the Supreme Court of the State of New York.*
- Advised a US owned energy company in a Central African State on an internal investigation following allegations of corruption made by a whistleblower.*
- Represented a US multinational energy company in an ICC commercial arbitration against a Latin American state-owned oil and natural gas company.*
- Successfully represented a Luxemburg fund in an SCC arbitration arising under the Energy Charter Treaty against the Kingdom of Spain for claims arising out of the PV tariffs regime reforms.*
- Represented a Korean investor in a treaty arbitration under the ICSID rules against a Middle-Eastern state in relation to a bidding process led by the state for the modernization of an oil refinery plant ran by a state-owned entity.*
- Representing a petitioner in a child and spousal support case on a pro bono basis before the Kings County Family Court in Brooklyn, New York.
- Represented an asylum seeker on a pro bono basis in her asylum petition in the United States.*
*experience prior to joining Chaffetz Lindsey LLP
- “David Aven v. Costa Rica: Key takeaways for foreign investors to consider when resorting to investor-state arbitration in environmental disputes”, Inside Arbitration, Issue No. 7, February 2019, Co-authored with Daniela Páez.
- “What users want and how to address their needs and expectations using the results of the Global Pound Conference”, New York Dispute Resolution Lawyer, Vol. 11, No. 2, Fall 2018, Co-authored with Amal Bouchenaki, Jonathan Cross, and Liang-Ying Tan.
Subscribe to Updates
Stay informed of Chaffetz Lindsey’s updates, new articles, and events invitations by subscribing to our mailing list.