April 2019 –Chaffetz Lindsey’s client, International Business Machines Corporation, recently won judgment on the pleadings terminating a software licensing dispute with defendants Robert Simon and MGV Holdings Inc. Manhattan federal Judge J. Paul Oetken issued the ruling. The dispute related…Read More
In the past 10+ years, Drew has acted for clients in cases before state and federal courts, and domestic and international arbitration tribunals under the AAA, JAMS, ICDR, ICC, ARIAS and ad hoc rules. His cases focus on insurance and reinsurance, energy and infrastructure projects, banking and finance, and corporate governance and partnership law. In addition, he frequently handles cases involving foreign governments arising under the Foreign Sovereign Immunities Act (FSIA).
Before joining Chaffetz Lindsey, Drew clerked for the Honorable Richard K. Eaton of the United States Court of International Trade, gaining a unique perspective on what persuades judges. His measured approach focuses on presenting reasonable, credible arguments that emphasize the equities of the case.
- Won substantial recovery for a Brazilian construction company in ICC arbitration concerning delays and cost overruns in the construction of an offshore oil production unit.
- Obtained dismissal of federal lawsuit against foreign state seeking to recover possession of Pablo Picasso painting Madame Soler.
- Successfully defended against rescission of approximately $25 million in mortgage reinsurance coverage in the wake of the financial crisis.
- Won full relief for reinsurer in arbitration concerning sports-disability coverage for Major League Baseball players.
- Obtained substantial award and favorable settlement for international insurance company in related arbitrations concerning reinsurance recoveries on long term environmental losses.
- Obtained a favorable award for the general partner of a power generation facility in AAA arbitration with limited partners concerning partner distributions and tax liabilities.
- Won dismissal of claims against the Singapore Housing Authority under the Foreign Sovereign Immunities Act.
- Obtained dismissal in favor of a Turkish holding company in action seeking enforcement of a $1 billion foreign arbitral award.
- Won favorable arbitration award for investment fund terminating the management agreement with an international hotel operator for mismanagement of a luxury hotel.
- “Appeals Court in New York Heightens Standard for Establishing ‘Evident Partiality’ of a Non-Neutral Party-Appointed Arbitrator,” ICC Dispute Resolution Bulletin 2018 Issue 3
- Chaffetz Lindsey Insurance and Reinsurance Law Report, Contributing Editor
- Enforcement of Foreign Arbitral Awards and Judgements in New York (Kluwer 2018), contributing author
- “Points of Departure: Procedural Differences Between International Arbitration and U.S. Reinsurance Arbitration,” ARIAS-US Quarterly, First Quarter 2015 (with Peter Chaffetz and Gretta Walters)
- “The Diversity Hurdles Unincorporated Associations Face,” New York Law Journal, September 2010
Recent Speaking Engagements
- Panelist at 2018 “Asset Recovery Americas: Fraud Litigation, Enforcement and Contentious Insolvency,” discussing Enforcement and Recognition of Foreign Judgments and Insolvencies: Global Perspectives.
- Panel presentation on recent case developments in insurance and reinsurance, ARIAS U.S. Spring Conference (May 2018).
- In 2018, Drew was recognized by Legal 500 USA as one of five “Next Generation Attorneys” across the U.S. for Advice to Insurers.
- Albany Law School, J.D., summa cum laude (2006)
- State University of New York at Albany, B.A. and M.A. (2003)
- New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York