December 2018 – Chaffetz Lindsey is pleased to announce that Erin Valentine and Gretta Walters have been promoted from Associate to Counsel effective January 1, 2019. Erin has also been named as the Head of Client Development, a new role…Read More
Erin Valentine has experience in international arbitration, complex commercial litigation, and insurance coverage disputes. She has represented individual and corporate clients as well as foreign sovereigns in U.S. courts and before arbitral tribunals.
Erin has been part of the Chaffetz Lindsey team since 2010. Prior to joining the firm, Erin was an associate with the International Justice Network where she represented individuals detained at the United States airbase in Bagram, Afghanistan in habeas proceedings in both the district court and court of appeals.
- Representing foreign sovereign in ICC arbitration against a private tertiary education provider.
- Representing a Swiss financial institution, a Bermuda fund manager, and fund directors in a series of bankruptcy adversary proceedings and shareholder class actions as a consequence of the 2007-2008 financial crisis.
- Representing reinsurer in Second Circuit appeal following adverse jury verdict.
- Representing a global insurance company in a $500M coverage dispute.
- Represented a Chilean electrical engineering and construction company in an ICDR arbitration arising out of an engineering, procurement, and construction contract.
- Advised an international energy company in ICC arbitration concerning an alleged breach of stock purchase agreement and in a potential AAA dispute concerning alleged breach of operating agreement.
- Represented Taiwanese distributor U.S. discovery in aid of ongoing arbitration and foreign litigation proceedings.
- Represented a foreign sovereign’s central bank in federal district court and on appeal in a dispute over seized funds.
- Represented the Republic of Liberia in an ICSID arbitration concerning a dispute with a Canadian mining company.
- Represented a global entertainment company in a JAMS arbitration under a franchise agreement.
- Represented a Japanese insurance company in a trial in federal district court and on appeal.
- Represented a supranational organization in an ad hoc arbitration seated in Singapore in a dispute over a construction contract.
- Represented the United Nations Special Rapporteur on Torture as amicus curiae before the U.S. Supreme Court in Malaqleh v. Gates.
- Represented the New York City Bar Association as amicus curiae before the U.S. Supreme Court in Kiobel v. Royal Dutch Petroleum.
- Pre-Arbitral Emergency Measures of Protection: New Tools for an Old Problem, PLI Litig. & Admin. Practice, Course Handbook Ser. No. H-865 (2011) (with James Hosking).
- The Emergency Arbitrator: Creeping Consensus or a Passing Fancy?, ABA Spring Meeting 2011 (with James Hosking).
Recent Speaking Engagements
- Guest Lecturer on Commercial Arbitration, University of Pennsylvania Law School.
- University of Pennsylvania Law School, J.D., 2009; James Wilson Scholar, Senior Editor of the University of Pennsylvania Journal of International Law, Blank Rome Alvin Ackerman Prize, Foreign Public Interest Scholarship, Pro Bono Service Recognition Award.
- University of California, Irvine, B.A., 2004.
- New York State
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court