December 2018 – The United States Court of Appeals for The Second Circuit ruled in favor of Chaffetz Lindsey’s client, Zurich American Insurance Company, affirming the dismissal of an Amended Complaint filed by Plaintiffs Keller Foundations, LLC, Keller Group PLC,…Read More
One of Chaffetz Lindsey’s founding partners, Cia Moss has handled complex commercial and financial disputes for the past 19 years. Prior to establishing Chaffetz Lindsey, Cia was with Clifford Chance for ten years.
Cia has represented sophisticated clients in high stakes disputes in federal and state court, as well as in arbitration. Cia’s practice focuses on representing major insurance companies in reinsurance disputes and in coverage litigation. In addition, Cia handles large scale commercial disputes in court and in international arbitration, including most recently, for clients in the financial services, oil & gas, and pharmaceutical sectors.
- Representing insurer in multiple arbitrations seeking to collect reinsurance covering its surety losses in connection with an offshore oil platform.
- Representing insurance carrier in New York coverage litigation.
- Represented European reinsurance company in arbitration disputes with U.S. based insurance companies relating to excess of loss reinsurance contracts.
- Represented reinsurer in a federal court action alleging fraud and breach of contract related to reinsurance contracts that covered reinstatement premiums paid on aviation contracts covering losses arising out of the 9/11 attacks.
- Represented a financial services company in a multi-billion dollar claim arising from the workers’ compensation carve-out market.
- Represented insurer on issues relating to the reinsurance of insurance wrapped residential mortgage-backed securities and variable rate demand obligations.
- Represented insurer in Massachusetts state court seeking to collect from its reinsurers in connection with settlement of one of the nation’s largest asbestos litigations.
- Represented reinsurer in arbitration concerning the terms of a commutation agreement.
- Represented one of the world’s leading pharmaceutical companies in ICDR arbitrations concerning a license and asset purchase agreement as well as a manufacturing agreement.
- Represented leading Brazilian private equity firm in an ICC arbitration seated in Sao Paulo against international financial institutions arising out of breaches of finance restructuring agreements (and in parallel proceedings in U.S. federal court).
- Represented a Brazilian oil & gas distributor in an ICDR arbitration and related U.S. federal court and in separate state court litigation concerning fuel sale contracts.
- Represented an offshore bank in a FINRA arbitration with a Wall Street broker-dealer.
- Represented insurer in $150 million arbitration to enforce surety reinsurance coverage.
- Represented UK hedge fund in recovering assets out of Lehman bankruptcy.
- Quoted in “Bye-Bye Big Firm,” Corporate Counsel, April 2012.
- “Follow the Fortunes and Allocation: An Update,” Journal of Reinsurance, Spring 2009 (co-authored with Peter Chaffetz).
- “Consolidation of Arbitrations in the U.S. and the U.K.,” Euromoney Annual Reinsurance Review, July 18, 2008 (co-authored with Stephen Surgeoner).
Recent Speaking Engagements
- The Importance of Creating Your Personal Brand (2017 ARIAS-U.S. Women’s Networking Session at ARIAS-U.S. Spring Conference, May 3, 2017).
- Comparative Ethics: Lesson to be Learned from Other Arbitration Regimes (2016 ARIAS-U.S. Fall Conference, November 16-17, 2016).
- Scope of Panel Authority (2015 ARIAS US Basic Arbitrators Seminar, November 11, 2015).
- The use of experts and the propriety of awards for costs in reinsurance arbitrations(ARIAS Inexperienced Arbitrators Seminar, March 14, 2013).
- Arbitrator evident partiality and reasoned awards(ARIAS Arbitrator Continuing Education Series, November 2, 2011).
- Ethics, Reinsurance and Contract Scrutiny(Reinsurance Association of America Re Contracts, July 2009, New York).
- Fordham University School of Law, J.D., 1996
- Princeton University, B.A., 1991.
- Admitted in New York, 1997.
- Also admitted in the Southern District of New York and the Second Circuit.