December 2018 – The United States Court of Appeals for The Second Circuit ruled in favor of Chaffetz Lindsey’s client, Zurich American Insurance Company, affirming the dismissal of an Amended Complaint filed by Plaintiffs Keller Foundations, LLC, Keller Group PLC,…Read More
Over more than 30 years of practice, Peter has first-chaired more than 30 trials and arbitrations and has practiced actively in both New York and California. Prior to forming Chaffetz Lindsey, Peter served as the Global Head of Litigation for Clifford Chance from 2004 to 2008, leading that firm’s 600+ lawyer litigation practice and serving on the firm’s global management committee.
Peter has had an outstanding track record handling a broad range of commercial and financial litigation matters including:
- a $300 million fraud and breach of contract dispute arising from a proposed software licensing arrangement
- post-merger disputes in the telecommunications and insurance markets
- construction disputes
- disputed claims to assets among ponzi scheme victims
- a variety of commercial fraud cases
- fraudulent conveyance disputes
- disputes over priority in bankruptcy
- recovery of back interest on sovereign debt
He has also had a role in many of the biggest issues affecting the insurance and reinsurance industry over the past 20 years, including:
- allocation and recoverability of asbestos and environmental claims
- finite risk
- set-off in insolvency
- enforceability of cut-through endorsements
- workers’ compensation carve-out
- surety disputes
- late notice
- litigation against insurance liquidators
- disputes over arbitrability and consolidation.
- Points of Departure: Procedural Differences Between International Arbitration and U.S. Reinsurance Arbitration, ARIAS-US Quarterly (First Quarter 2015) (with Andrew Poplinger and Gretta Walters).
Recent Speaking Engagements
- “Contract Avoidance under U.S., UK and Bermuda Law” ARIAS U.S. Fall Conference (November 2015, New York);
- “How to Market a Litigation Department” 2015 Annual IBA Meeting (October 2015, Vienna);
- “The Arbitrators’ Perspective on How to Present a Cross Border Direct Coverage Arbitration” ARIAS U.S. Fall Conference (November 2014, New York);
- “Sex, Drugs and Legal Practice: Stress, Alcohol and Substance Abuse in the Profession” 2014 Annual IBA Meeting (October 2014, Tokyo);
- “Pre-Hearing Security Requirements in U.S. Reinsurance Disputes” (April 2013, Sao Paulo);
- “Alternative Dispute Resolution Options for Global Commercial Transactions” (December 2012, Sao Paulo);
- “How Much is This Going to Cost Me?” (May 2012, New York);
- “The Ripple Effect: Future Trends In U.S. Litigation” (December 2008, Toronto);
- “Exploring the Latest Developments in the US and What They Hold for the UK and European Markets” (September 2008, London);
- “A Finite Post Mortem: How a Leading Industry Product Became an Enforcement Target” RAA Contracts Conference (July 2009, New York);
- “A View From the Board Room: How The Threat of Litigation Affects Business Decisions” US Chamber of Commerce (August 2007, Washington D.C.);
- “The Global Reach of U.S. Courts: How Long?” (June 2007, Paris).
Peter is recognized by independent industry guides as an expert in his field, including being ranked in Band 1 and 2 for Dispute Resolution: Reinsurance and Dispute Resolution: Insurance by Chambers USA, and being listed as one of Who’s Who Legal’s Ten Most Highly Regarded Individuals in insurance and reinsurance law.
Peter graduated from The University of Chicago Law School in 1978 and Harvard College in 1974.
He is admitted to practice in New York and California.