Where Advocacy Meets Business
Our team ensures the best possible outcomes for clients involved in bankruptcy cases, out-of-court restructurings, or insolvency proceedings. We advise major creditors, shareholders, creditors and ad hoc committees, and other key parties in chapter 11 and debtors’ chapter 7 cases and out-of-court workouts. We also have substantial experience in insurance and bank insolvency matters and in addressing potential insolvency issues in structured finance and other complex transactions. Consistent with our deep international network and experience, many of our insolvency-related matters involve cross-border components and ancillary proceedings under chapter 15 of the bankruptcy code. Whether in bankruptcy cases, insolvency proceedings, international arbitration, or commercial litigation, our team is trial-ready.
- Represented debtors, major creditors, shareholders, and ad hoc groups of bondholders in in both out-of-court workouts and various chapter 11 cases including in the Acosta, Sears, Bon-Ton, Data Cooling, iHeart Communications, American Tire, Transmar, Aegean Marine Petroleum, Spiegel, Eddie Bauer, Globalstar, Touch America, and Nortel cases.
- Representing a Swiss financial institution in bankruptcy court actions in the Southern District of New York brought by the Madoff trustee and the liquidator of three of the largest Madoff feeder funds.
- Obtained a judgment in excess of $1 billion in favor of noteholders of a bankrupt Mexican manufacturing company in bankruptcy, state, and federal court litigation in Texas and New York (with parallel proceedings in Mexico).
- Represented a hospital group in multiple hospital bankruptcy cases including Brooklyn Hospital, Westchester Square Hospital, and United Hospital as well as for a major claim in the Lehman Brothers chapter 11 cases.
- Secured the dismissal of Bermuda fund manager in a series of bankruptcy adversary proceedings in the U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of New York and shareholder class actions in U.S. state and federal courts arising out of BLMIS liquidation.
- Represented the indenture trustee for hundreds of millions of dollars of notes in the AbitibiBowater, and Nutritional Sourcing chapter 11 cases.
- Appointed by liquidators of a Bahamian company to assess construction and shareholder claims arising out of a failed tourism development, and provide advice for related US bankruptcy proceedings.
- Won bankruptcy court bench trial in the Southern District of Florida on behalf of a US-based hotel operator in a dispute under an intercreditor agreement, enabling the client to collect on a $30 million guaranty.
- Represented pension trustees in the Lehman Brothers chapter 11 cases.
- Secured the dismissal of an adversary proceeding arising out of a major law firm bankruptcy case in the U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of New York.
- Advised UK subsidiary of major financial guaranty insurer in connection with the state-supervised restructuring of its U.S. parent company.
Subscribe to Updates
Stay informed of Chaffetz Lindsey’s updates, new articles, and events invitations by subscribing to our mailing list.