Where Advocacy Meets Business
We added first tier bankruptcy knowledge and experience to the firm’s capabilities in late 2019, when Alan Lipkin joined us from Willkie Farr & Gallagher LLP, where he had founded that firm’s restructuring practice. For many years there, Alan advised major creditors, shareholders, debtors, ad hoc and creditors’ committees, and other key parties in chapter 11 and chapter 7 cases and out-of-court workouts.
Alan’s mainstream bankruptcy practice complements our substantial experience in bankruptcy court litigation, insurance and bank insolvency work, and insolvency issues arising in structured finance and other complex transactions. Consistent with our deep international network and experience, we have worked frequently on cross-border insolvency matters, including under chapter 15 of the Bankruptcy Code.
- Represented major creditors, shareholders, and ad hoc groups of bondholders in in both out-of-court workouts and various chapter 11 cases including in the 24 Hour Fitness, Acosta, Sears, Bon-Ton, Data Cooling, iHeart Communications, American Tire, Transmar, Aegean Marine, Spiegel, Eddie Bauer, Globalstar, Touch America, and Nortel cases.
- Represented a Swiss financial institution in bankruptcy court actions in the Southern District of New York brought by the Madoff trustee and the liquidator of three of the largest Madoff feeder funds.
- Obtained a judgment in excess of $1 billion in favor of noteholders of a bankrupt Mexican manufacturing company in bankruptcy, state, and federal court litigation in Texas and New York (with parallel proceedings in Mexico).
- Represented a key party in the IIG Global Trade Finance Fund Ltd. and IIG Structured Trade Finance Fund Ltd. chapter 15 cases in the S.D.N.Y.
- Represented a hospital group in multiple hospital bankruptcy cases including Brooklyn Hospital, Westchester Square Hospital, and United Hospital as well as for a major claim in the Lehman Brothers chapter 11 cases.
- Secured the dismissal of Bermuda fund manager in a series of adversary proceedings in the U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of New York and shareholder class actions in U.S. state and federal courts arising out of BLMIS liquidation.
- Represented the indenture trustee for hundreds of millions of dollars of notes in the AbitibiBowater, and Nutritional Sourcing chapter 11 cases.
- Appointed by liquidators of a Bahamian company to assess construction and shareholder claims arising out of a failed tourism development, and provide advice for a related U.S. bankruptcy case.
- Won bankruptcy court bench trial in the Southern District of Florida on behalf of a U.S.-based hotel operator in a dispute under an inter-creditor agreement, enabling the client to collect on a $30 million guaranty.
- Represented pension trustees in the Lehman Brothers chapter 11 cases.
- Secured the dismissal of an adversary proceeding arising out of a major law firm bankruptcy case in the U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of New York.
- Advised U.K. subsidiary of major financial guaranty insurer in connection with the state-supervised restructuring of its U.S. parent company.
Subscribe to Updates
Stay informed of Chaffetz Lindsey’s updates, new articles, and events invitations by subscribing to our mailing list.