Where Advocacy Meets Business
Marcel represents clients in commercial arbitration proceedings involving a variety of industries. He also acts in strategic litigation matters in Brazilian courts.
Marcel has represented Latin American, European and Asian clients in litigation and arbitration matters. He has also acted as Tribunal Secretary in international and domestic arbitration proceedings.
Marcel joined Chaffetz Lindsey in August 2019. At his former firm in Brazil, prior to directing his practice to arbitration, he headed a team in charge of complex and strategic litigation cases for a Brazilian commercial airline.
- Represented a consortium in an ICC arbitration related to the construction of a power plant in Brazil.
- Represented a Brazilian oil & gas corporation in a CCBC arbitration related to its acquisition by a Canadian group.
- Represented a Machinery Industry association in a CCBC arbitration related to unfair competition.
- Represented an Asian technology manufacturer in a class action in Sao Paulo State Courts related to warranty coverage for products purchased abroad.
- Represented a French cable manufacturer in negotiations for the supply of a Brazilian shipyard.
- Represented a Brazilian commercial airline in a class action in the Brasilia Court of Appeals related to the use of a no-show policy.
- “New Technologies and the Legal Profession“, NYU Journal of Law & Business, April 8, 2019.
- “Third Party Arbitration Funding of Corporate Disputes” [“Financiamento de Arbitragens em Litígios Societários” – Portuguese], Centro de Estudos das Sociedades dos Advogados, 2017.
- “Effects of, and third parties’ standing to challenge, arbitral awards” [“Limites Subjetivos da sentenca arbitral e legitimidade do terceiro para ajuizar ação anulatória” – Portuguese], A Reforma da Arbitragem, 2016.
- “Third Party Funding in International Arbitration”, Advanced Skills in International Arbitration, Speaker, Pontifical Catholic University of Sao Paulo (November 24, 2017).
- “Third Party Funding in France: a model for Brazil“, Le droit comparé comme perspective, Speaker Société de législation compare (November 7, 2017)
- “Third Party Arbitration Funding in Brazil”, INOVARB Novas Perspectivas sobre a Prática de Arbitragem, Speaker, American Chamber of Commerce for Brazil (May 17, 2017).
Subscribe to Updates
Stay informed of Chaffetz Lindsey’s updates, new articles, and events invitations by subscribing to our mailing list.