Where Advocacy Meets Business
“To help my clients achieve the best possible result in their disputes, I always strive to not only understand the complex technical or legal issues but also the commercial realities that underlie every matter.”
Gretta’s experience spans a broad range of commercial and investment disputes in domestic and international arbitration and in state and federal courts. She has worked on matters arising under the ICDR, AAA Employment, AAA Commercial, AAA Construction, BCICAC, ICC, LCIA, SCC, SMA, and UNCITRAL Rules. Her cases have included disputes concerning construction/infrastructure projects, energy projects such as oil & gas, wind, solar, coal-fired, and hydroelectric projects, licensing and distribution agreements, investment agreements, banking and finance, securities laws, manufacturing and sales contracts, employee disputes, executive compensation agreements, and healthcare management agreements.
Gretta is an adjunct professor at New York University Law School, where she teaches a course on international arbitration and the CISG and also co-coaches the Foreign Direct Investment and Vis International Commercial Arbitration moot court teams. She is also on the Executive Board for ICDR Y&I, the Steering Committee for CPR Y-ADR, and a member of the Arbitration Committee of the New York City Bar.
Prior to joining Chaffetz Lindsey, Gretta was an Associate at Mayer Brown, Legal Counsel at the Arbitration Institute of the Stockholm Chamber of Commerce, and a Visiting Lecturer at Stockholm University.
- Representing developer and manufacturer of wind energy turbines in ICDR-administered arbitration with wind farm owner regarding alleged product defects.
- Representing a German manufacturer in an ICDR arbitration arising from an agreement to manufacture automotive parts.
- Represented the subsidiary of a large European energy company in an ICC arbitration against a major international contractor over construction of a power plant in Costa Rica.
- Represented owner of a power plant project in Guatemala in an ICC arbitration of complex construction/project finance claims totaling over $1 billion concerning termination of an EPC contract.
- Represented a global asset manager in an ICDR arbitration against a US hedge fund in compensation disputes with former employees and executives.
- Represented a private equity firm in a New York action and before the European Court of Human Rights for losses suffered as a result of a fraud by a large Spanish fishing company.
- Represented a secured lender in several litigations related to its use and liquidation of loan collateral;
- Represented Brazilian bank in New York federal court in discovery proceedings (28 U.S.C § 1782) in aid of Brazilian court proceeding and in New York state court to attach assets to satisfy judgments from Brazilian courts.
- Represented a global financial institution in federal court against lawsuits brought by investors in residential mortgage-backed securities under the Securities Exchange Act and state blue sky laws.
- Represented real estate developers from the Dominican Republic in federal court against a lawsuit brought by a hotel management company.
- Represented a global biopharmaceutical company in a New York state investigation under the New York False Claims Act, achieving a favorable settlement.
- Represented a client (pro bono) in a lawsuit in federal court for claims brought under the American with Disabilities Act against New York state, achieving a favorable settlement.
- “Does a Partial Final Award Render a Tribunal Partially Functus Officio? New York State High Court Weighs In,” Kluwer Arbitration Blog (October 5, 2020).
- “UNCITRAL Working Group II: Does Expedited Equal Efficient?” Kluwer Arbitration Blog (September 18, 2020), Co-authored with Erin Valentine.
- “Allocating Costs in International Arbitration: Do Alternative Fee Arrangements with Counsel Require Alternative Considerations?” in Finances in International Arbitration: Liber Amicorum Patricia Shaughnessy (forthcoming Kluwer, ed., 2019).
- “A Local Issue in An International Field: The Negative Effect of Competence-Competence in Estonia, Poland and the United States,” in Current Issues in International Arbitration, Co-Authored with Maria Teder and Ewelina Wetrys (2019).
- “Enforcement of Foreign Arbitral Awards and Judgements in New York,” Co-authored with Andreas Frischknecht and Yasmine Lahlou (Kluwer 2018).
- “Dispositive Motions in International Arbitration: A Move From ‘Can We’ To ‘Should We,’” 40 Under 40: Upcoming Issues on International Arbitration (Kluwer, ed., 2018).
- “The ICDR International Arbitration Rules,” International Arbitration in the US, Co-Authored with James Hosking (Kluwer, ed., 2017).
- “Global v. Century: Bellefonte Stops Tolling,” ARIAS U.S. Quarterly 11 (Q3/Q4 2017), Co-Authored with Peter R. Chaffetz and Steven C. Schwartz.
- “Enforcing Awards Against Non-Signatories and Non-Parties: Two Recent Decisions from the Southern District of New York,“ The Case Law Chronicle (NYIAC) (June 28, 2016).
- “Amicus Brief to the Second Circuit, U.S. Government Weighs In On Whether Sovereign Immunity Is a Defense to the Recognition of ICSID Award Against Venezuela,” NYIAC Case Law Chronicle (April 6, 2016).
- “Points of Departure: Procedural Differences Between International Arbitration and U.S. Reinsurance Arbitration,” 22 ARIAS U.S. Quarterly 22 (2015), Co-Authored with Peter R. Chaffetz, Andrew L. Poplinger.
- “Legal Counsel Sanctioned Over Lawsuit Against Arbitrator and ICC. U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York, 13 Civ. 9044 (JGK),” 46 Revista Brasileira de Arbitragem 135, 2015 (26 November 2014).
- “Fitting a Square Peg into a Round Hole: Do Res Judicata Challenges in International Arbitration Constitute Jurisdictional or Admissibility Problems?”, 29 J. Int’l Arb. 651 (2012).
- “SCC Practice: Separate Awards for Advance on Costs, 1 January 2007-31 August 2012,” 28 Romanian Arb. J. 26 (2013).
- “Introduction to International Arbitration,” NYU IAA Virtual Event, Panelist (October 2020).
- “Career Paths of Women in International Construction Arbitration,” ICDR Y&I Virtual Event, Moderator (October 2020).
- “Data Protection in International Dispute Resolution,” ACEDS NY Metro Chapter Seminar, Panelist (New York, February 2020).
- “Assessing the State of Play – UNCITRAL’s Working Group II (WGII) and Institutional, Expedited Arbitrations,” NYIAC Talks, Moderator (New York, February 2020).
- “A Buyer’s Right to Specific Performance: Article 46 of the CISG,” CISG in International Arbitration, Speaker (New York, February 2020).
- “Diversity Challenge: Reinventing the Landscape for Young IA Practitioners,” New York Arbitration Week, Panelist (New York, November 2019).
- “Understanding the Options in an ICDR International Arbitration,” AAA-ICDR Dispute Resolution Center, Speaker (New York, August 2019).
- “Hot Topics in International Arbitration,” IASC/ICDR Y&I Event, Panelist, (Madrid, July 2019).
- “A Guide to the ICDR International Arbitration Rules – An Update on the Application of the ICDR Rules,” AAA-ICDR Dispute Resolution Center, Panelist (New York, June 2019).
- “Developments in Swedish Arbitration: Court Procedures, SCC Rules and Practice,” SAA & SCC Half Day Conference, Speaker (Stockholm, May 2019).
- “The Art of Advocacy: Tips, Tricks and War Stories,” ICDR Y&I Event, Moderator (New York, April 2019).
- Demystifying the Arbitral Tribunal – Arbitrator Selection, Challenge and Dynamics,” KCAB International Seminar, Panelist (Vienna, April 2019).
- “You can have your coffee black, but not black market!’” and “The barista knows best!” Annual ICDR Y&I Coffee House Debate, Debater (Vienna, April 2019).
- “How to Handle Parallel Proceedings,” ICAL Conference 2018: Navigating the Muddy Waters of Modern Arbitration, Speaker (Stockholm, November 2018).
- ICDR Y&I/YAS Seminar on Cross-Examination in International Arbitration, Panelist (Stockholm, November 2018).
- “Developments in Swedish Arbitration Court Procedures, SCC Rules and Practices,” SAA & SCC Conference, Panelist (Stockholm, May 2018).
- “Arbitrating Breach of Fiduciary Duty Claims,” American University, Washington College of Law, Panelist (Washington D.C., March 2018).
- “Who’s paying for coffee?” and “The café selects the baristas, not the customer!” Annual ICDR Y&I Coffee House Debate, Debater (Vienna, March 2018).
- “Cross-Examination in International Arbitration,” Young ICCA Skills Training Workshop, Panelist and Participant (Stockholm, November 2017).
- “Tips from the Top: Young ICCA interviews Gretta Walters,” Young ICCA Blog, Interviewee (October 2017).
- “Careers in International Arbitration: The Role of International Courts, Institutions, and Tribunals,” ICC-YAF Event, Speaker (Washington D.C, October 2017).
- “You spilled my coffee – I’m not paying for you!” and “Waiter, just bring our coffees and stay out of it!” Annual ICDR Y&I Coffee House Debate, Debater (Vienna, April 2017).
- “Innovation in Arbitration,” VIII International Congress of Arbitration of ICC Costa Rica, Speaker (San Jose, February 2017).
- “The Quite Triumph: How Arbitration Changed the World,” Film Premier at Stockholm Chamber of Commerce Centenary Gala, Speaker in Film (Stockholm, January 2017).
- “Arbitral Institutions, Roles and Activities,” 8th Conference on Teaching Transnational Commercial Law, Speaker (Washington D.C., November 2016).
- “To what extent can parties and counsel have an obligation to disclose hidden information relevant to the outcome?” Co-Chairs’ Circle Second Global Conference, Table Session Moderator (Helsinki, May 2016).
- “Too Much Milk in my Coffee!’” and “If I don’t get my coffee now, you pay for my lawyer,” Annual ICDR Y&I Coffee House Debate, Debater (Vienna, March 2016).
- “Discovery and international best practices – a practitioner’s perspective.” Stockholm Pre-Moot Conference, Speaker (Stockholm, March 2016).
- “What Does an Arbitration Cost?” Georgetown Arbitration Month, Speaker (Washington D.C., February 2016).
- “In defense of international commercial arbitration: Lessons to be learned or ignored from investor-state arbitration,” ICC Young Arbitrators Forum, Moderator (New York, September 2015).
- “Interim Measures from a U.S. perspective,” Interim Measures: Current and Future Perspectives, Speaker (Stockholm, May 2015).
- “Arbitration in Eastern Europe – What’s Going On?,” 2015 European Forum ABA, Section of International Law, Speaker (Berlin, March 2015).
- “Investor-State Arbitrations at the SCC,” FDI Moot 2014, Speaker (Malibu, October 2014).
- “Debate: 2013 IBA Guidelines on Party Representation, Advocate Your Client’s Case No Matter What?” YAS 10 Year Jubilee, Panel Debater (Stockholm, August 2013).
- “20 Years of Arbitration in Estonia and the Arbitration Proceedings in Latvia, Lithuania, the Russian Federation, Finland and Sweden,” Conference Speaker, (Tallinn, May 2012).
- 2012 SCC Vis Pre-Moot Conference, Panel Moderator (Stockholm, March 2012).
- “SCC Investment Arbitrations,” Frankfurt Investment Moot, Speaker (Frankfurt, March 2012).
- Vis International Commercial Arbitration Moot, Arbitrator (Vienna, 2011-2015).
Subscribe to Updates
Stay informed of Chaffetz Lindsey’s updates, new articles, and events invitations by subscribing to our mailing list.